How to choose well your Japanese plates
The different uses of the plates in Japan.
You can find Japanese plates in many different sizes and shapes but they are essentially made from ceramic. Located in Fukuoka closed from Arita, most of our plates are made in this town know as Arita yaki (Arita porcelain and china).
There are a few categories like:
- Shokado bento box, a lacquered or plastic plate for Separating and compartmentalising your favorite food easily.
- The small round Japanese plates that fit in the palm of your hand are specifically made for seasoning or sauces, especially soy sauce. They are generally on the side of other small plates or bowls, but mostly next to a square plate where the main dish would be served.
- The rectangular Japanese plates can be found in different sizes. Be sure to check how large they are especially if you are looking for Sushi plates, sashimi plates or yakitori plates. They are normally used for eating sashimi (raw fish) or sushi (raw fish on top of rice). Of course, they are also used for other types of cooking, like yakitori (Japanese kebab, tonkatsu (deep-fried pork), the delicious Japanese beef and more. The longest ones are usually plates for grilled fish.
- The hallow oval Japanese plates like Curry plates were especially made for dishes with rice and some kind of sauce or gravy. The most famous is of course the Japanese curry with all of its “customization”. With the popularity of the western dishes whether it is at a restaurant or at home, make these plates a perfect choice for pasta, salads, risotto…
- The round Japanese plates, flat or hallow, a more familiar to our western standards. Many ceramists offer today a large variety of sizes, colors, patterns that can be either European style but also Japanese style with traditional Japanese pattern. They are used for almost any kind of cooking.
- Plates gift sets for a special occasion, birthday,wedding,...