If you are looking for a complete list of ingredients and utensils for making tempura, check our tempura essentials collection.
Vegetable oil /1 cup of tempura batter mix / 3/4 cup ice-cold water (or use 2/3 cup for a thicker coating) / Assorted prepared seafood & vegetables
- Pour oil at least 2 inches deep into electric deep fryer, wok or a deep, wide skillet. Heat oil between 350° to 360°F.
- In small bowl, whisk together batter mix and water until blended.
- Set bowl into larger bowl filled with ice cubes to keep batter cold.
- Pat seafood and vegetables dry with paper towels. Cook in small batches of 4 to 5 pieces, dipping 1 piece at a time into batter and quickly sliding into hot oil. Deep-fry 2 to 4 minutes until cooked and golden brown, turning pieces over once.
- Remove; drain on paper towels. Skim off cooked batter pieces from oil between batches.
- Serve immediately with Tempura Pipping Sauce, Ponzu or sea salt.
HOW TO PREPARE SEAFOOD AND VEGETABLES FOR TEMPURA:
Leaving tails on, peel, butterfly & devein. Cut 3 small slits along belly side; press to flatten.
Cut into 1-1/2 to 2-inch pieces.
Remove & discard beards.
Clean & skin squid. Cut off tentacles; slice body sac crosswise into 1/2-inch rings.
Aspargus, bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans
Cut into bite-size pieces.
Carrot, eggplant, potato, yam, zucchini
Cut diagonally-into 1/4-inch thick slices.
Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices; separate rings.